I’ve drawn or painted more or less all my life, with a childhood dominated by artistic activity, most of it through my own motivation. Several things led to this. My father was a headmaster who actively encouraged the arts as a form of education, which was unusual at the time. Also, we had no television and few other outlets for creative leanings, so early on I became acquaint with the need to generate my own momentum.
Being an artist is a fairly solitary life so the ability to be self motivated as a child has come in useful ever since. I studied at Edinburgh College of Art, getting an honours degree in Drawing and Painting. I learnt little about art but a lot about myself. I kept painting, indifferently at times, but my work changed when I came across the paintings of the Canadian artist Tom Thomson, one of the ‘Group of Seven’. Since then I have painted in many remote parts of Northern Scotland, always carrying boards and canvases with me, not usually sketching but doing full scale paintings.
Once back in the studio, detached from the moment, they are reworked, manipulated, altered. Sometimes even left alone. Anything to make them work. I exhibit in a small selection of galleries. The Kilmorack Gallery, Browns Fine Arts, the Rendezvous Gallery, and Panter and Hall. My principal outlet for expression is landscape, but image making is what appeals to me, so portraits and other stimuli often appear in my work.
- KILMORACK GALLERY, 2019: SOLO EXHIBITION
- BROWNS FINE ARTS, TAIN 2018; SOLO EXHIBITION
- DISCERNING EYE, LONDON 2017
- RENDEZVOUS GALLERY ABERDEEN, 2017
- BROWNS GALLERY 2016; JOINT EXHIBITION
- KILMORACK GALLERY 2015; JOINT EXHIBITION
- PANTER AND HALL, 2015; GROUP EXHIBITION
- RENDEZVOUS GALLERY, ABERDEEN, 2014
- BROWNS FINE ARTS, 2013; SOLO EXHIBITION
- DISCERNING EYE, 2012; LONDON
- KILMORACK GALLERY, 2012; JOINT EXHIBITION
- KILMORACK GALLERY, 2010; SOLO EXHIBITION
- DISCERNING EYE 2017; REGIONAL PRIZE
RESIDENCY, GARYVARD, ISLE OF LEWIS ,2016
DISCERNING EYE 2012; PURCHASE PRIZE
DISCERNING EYE 2012; REGIONAL PRIZE